Category: World / December 6, 2012 4:32 PM EST
Parts of central Buenos Aires were enveloped in a toxic cloud of gas on Thursday (December 6), generating panic and evacuations in the affected areas.
The cause of the foul smelling smoke was thought to be the result of a shipping container fire at the city's central port.
An intense sulfur-like odor, combined with mild eye and respiratory irritation caused many people to flee offices and homes.
While the exact content of the container was still under investigation, officials claimed that it was only mildly toxic and didn't pose any immediate health risks.
Subway and train services to the affected neighborhoods were suspended or delayed.
As a precautionary measure, residents were advised to remain inside and close all windows and doors.