Category: Society / October 9, 2012 6:15 PM EDT
The winner of a roach eating contest sponsored by a Florida reptile store, collapsed and died after eating an unspecified amount of roaches on Friday (October 5).
Witnesses said 32-year-old Edward Archibald from West Palm Beach, collapsed after eating roaches in an effort to win the contest prize of a python snake.
Mason Kahzam used his iPad to record the roach eating competition, and noticed that Archibald was dominating the contest.
"He was grabbing them about a handful at a time, I don't even think he was chewing them at one point, he was more or less swallowing them," Kahzam said.
As the competition went on, the crowd chanted to support Archibald to finish, as he tried to keep the roaches down by covering his mouth. Archibald raised his hands in victory, but witnesses noticed that something was wrong with him.
Kahzam says shortly after the contest, Archibald walked away and collapsed and died near the reptile store.
An autopsy will be performed to determine Archibald's cause of death.